Thursday 2 August 2012

Still playing catch up - Wk 23

Make notes on some of the key terms you use on a regular basis to describe your use of technology


Easiest to communicate as a list:
Online presence
Online Identity
Digital footprint
Being connected
Online network/society/structure
selection/curation/sifting
online communities
When describing the acquiring of a broad set of skills/experiences (which I could easily apply to technology tools rather than creative skills) I use this description a lot;
The more experiences and techniques (tools) you develop widens your vocabulary - a wider vocabulary enables you to express and communicate to/with others more successfully.
(From a fellow OU H800 Student)


My reply


Still playing catch up at the moment, but Jo I think your list is very much where my thinking is, and very much what I was about to write. Interestingly I find lists like these much easier to navigate and manage than complex 'visual' diagrams which to me feel very complex.
The only additional word I use when discussing technology is social 'media' as I feel that things like Twitter, Facebook, et al all work best when links are made to other media i.e. pictures, video, audio etc.....

New pedagogy schemas

Having read through this, I really am in two minds about it all.
One the one hand, I think it is really useful to have such a resource to review pedagogies and what they cover within new technologies. This could prove to be very useful when designing new courses and a useful prompt for designers of ideas/methods they may not have thoughts of using before.
However, I am always a little uneasy about anything like this, as all it is, is an adaptation of what you may call traditional feature of teaching & learning, and it may lead to designers thinking and spending too much time and energy focussed on the technologies used rather than thinking about how this may look in the actual classroom or virtual classroom i.e. how the students & teacher/tutor will interact with it. I would rather design the basic principles of learning, and then design the best/most appropriate technology for that particular task, rather than starting with 'we must use xyz' to teach 'abc'...... but perhaps that's just my view point.... ?

Mycorrhizae and wild fires


Here goes my answers....
1.) The communities described a set in the abstract and not the 'real' world, so although they are a useful thinking tool, relating them to actual use can be tricky or impossible due to the barriers present.

2.) Open Source is very much social production and is one of the great things about the web they way in which networks for almost anything have sprung up on almost any subject since now location is not an issue. Having just bought a new car, I am now usign a forum dedicated to the specific type of car I have bought to gather additional information, discus, share ideas etc... before this would never have been possible apart from a few yearly 'meets'

3.) Mycorrhizar to me equal networked lives, and today's society is very networked, and it is through the networks that new ideas / uprising's sharing etc... can happen so quickly and spead like.... 'wildfire' These metaphors like befoer act as a useful thinking excersie to allow you to think about how things are set-up arranged and used. The issue is the translation to the 'real' world.....

No comments:

Post a Comment